US President Donald Trump “no longer has plans” to attend the Quad Summit in New Delhi this November, The New York Times reported, citing strained ties with Prime Minister Narendra Modi amid disputes over Pakistan, trade tariffs and Trump’s Nobel ambitions
Updated On – 30 August 2025, 10:32 PM
New York: US President Donald Trump “no longer has plans” to visit India later this year for the Quad Summit, The New York Times (NYT) reported on Saturday, detailing how ties between Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have “unravelled” in recent months.
In a report titled “The Nobel Prize and a Testy Phone Call: How the Trump-Modi Relationship Unravelled”, the NYT, citing people familiar with Trump’s schedule, said, “After telling Mr Modi that he would travel to India later this year for the Quad Summit, Mr Trump no longer has plans to visit in the fall.”
There has been no official comment from either the US or India on the claim.
India is set to host leaders of Australia, Japan and the US for the Quad Summit in New Delhi around November. The Trump administration earlier hosted the Quad Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in January, a day after Trump took oath for his second term as US President.
Amid trade tensions between Delhi and Washington, the NYT report recounted how relations soured after Trump repeatedly claimed credit for “solving” the four-day conflict in May between India and Pakistan — an assertion denied by New Delhi.
“President Trump’s repeated claims about having ‘solved’ the India-Pakistan war infuriated Prime Minister Narendra Modi. And that was only the beginning,” the NYT said, adding that Modi was “losing patience” with Trump.
The two leaders had a 35-minute phone call on June 17, as Trump returned to Washington from the G7 Summit in Canada, which Modi also attended. Though they were scheduled to meet on the sidelines of the G7 Leaders’ Summit in Kananaskis, Trump left early. Before his departure, Modi spoke to him over phone.
Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri later clarified that Modi conveyed to Trump that “at no point” following Operation Sindoor was there any discussion of a trade deal or US mediation between India and Pakistan. The ceasefire was decided directly between the two countries through military channels, and at Pakistan’s request, Misri said.
According to NYT, during the June 17 call, Trump again claimed credit for ending the military escalation and said Pakistan was going to nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize. “The not-so-subtle implication, according to people familiar with the call, was that Mr Modi should do the same,” it reported.
“The Indian leader bristled. He told Mr Trump that US involvement had nothing to do with the ceasefire. It had been settled directly between India and Pakistan,” the article said.
The NYT said Modi’s refusal to endorse Trump’s role or back his Nobel ambitions played a major role in the relationship souring. Despite claiming more than 40 times since May 10 that he stopped the conflict, Trump avoided acknowledging the June 17 call publicly.
The report further said that Trump’s decision to impose additional 25 per cent tariffs on India’s purchases of Russian oil “appeared to be punishment for not falling in line, rather than a cohesive effort to reduce the trade deficit or curb funding for Russia’s war.”
Richard Rossow, Chair on India at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies, was quoted as saying: “If this was a real policy change to squeeze Russia, Trump could have supported legislation imposing secondary sanctions on all countries buying Russian hydrocarbons. The fact that India was uniquely targeted shows this is about more than just Russia.”
NYT also reported that Trump, “frustrated by tariff negotiations”, reached out to Modi several times, but the Indian leader “did not respond to those requests.”
- Follow Us :
-
-
<!– –>
-
-
-
-
<!–
–>